Top 10 Jake Kaufman Tracks

I’ve had a number of ideas for VGM lists / countdowns in my head for awhile now, but I never have the time to make them. I realized it’s been over a year since my last one, so I thought I might as well do some quicker lists. What do you guys think of more short lists featuring a specific composer like this, or featuring a specific game?

Anyway, I’ve become a huge fan of Jake Kaufman since starting this channel, and even putting together this list it’s obvious how talented of a composer he is. So sit back, and enjoy his varied tunes!

The intro track is “We Love Burning Town” from Shantae and the Pirate’s Curse.

Jake Kaufman’s Bandcamp:

10. 0:20 (comments at 3:57)
9. 4:13 (comments at 7:07)
8. 7:17 (comments at 10:01)
7. 10:16 (comments at 14:36)
6. 14:57 (comments at 18:16)
5. 18:36 (comments at 21:23)
4. 21:40 (comments at 24:01)
3. 24:18 (comments at 25:25)
2. 25:46 (comments at 27:19)
1. 27:38 (comments at 28:47)

27 thoughts on “Top 10 Jake Kaufman Tracks”

1. I realize this list is two years old but you should totally listen to the CAVE DoDonPachi arranges by Kaufman. They are fantastic.

2. A Music track that I like is this World 2 theme from Mighty Milky Way.

I wish that WayForward can make a second game of Mighty Milky Way.

3. If I recall correctly, this same guy did the music composition for an obscure kaiju fighting game called Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters Melee which has a pretty badass OST.

4. In my opinion, Jake Kaufman has an energetic, fast-paced charm to his music,
    like how Koji Kondo has a feel-good vibe,
    and David Wise has a relaxing tone,
    and Grant Kirkhope brings a sort of magic and wonder to his games he composes in.
    Was there a point to this comment, I don't remember.
    Anyways good music and good list

5. Weird I learned his name because of the group Big Bad Bosses. Knew his work in shovel knight, but didn't really know his name.

6. Jake Kaufman should join the team of composers for a Pokemon game. The hype would be through the roof! The Shantae Boss Battle theme is super in-character for Pokemon battle themes!

7. I found Jake Kaufman from Mighty Switch Force but I haven't actually played any games that he's composed on I just like his style. I might buy some of these just for the music though lol.

8. Too bad his Bandcamp has none of his Red Faction tracks, best ones weren't solely made by him thought. But now to the actual list, its pretty solid and shows how varied he can be. I'm not sure how these go chronologically but i first took notion of him from Red Faction Guerrilla. Thanks to this list i also found couple gems i had missed, thanks for sharing it.

9. All these songs are a perfect example why Jake (Virt) is one of my favorite music composers!
    Especially the Shantae and Shovel Knight music tracks 😉

10. Accually, neo burning town is shantae half genie hero, the one at the beginning was we love burning town from pirates curse

11. Nice to see one of your well-colored lists, yet again. Just keep making sure that your picks for composers and such, because I would prefer that, actually, is varied enough, so it isn't predictable.

If you want to make another composer list like this, I would effervescingly prefer to start with the more popular folks, like Nobuo Uematsu, Yoko Shimomura, or Koji Kondo, and then, make your way below the rainbow road to the most obscure ones, like Jun'ichi Masuda (he's actually not that well-known, other that his works on Pokemon), or Hideki Naganuma.

12. Strike the Earth is probably Kaufman's best known track, but the Adventure Time one is also amazing!

Featuring a specific game is a bit tougher, since not too many games have 10 great tracks on their own… maybe Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross could be good choices? FF9 and Symphony of the Night are other good ones, too.

13. A few expected tracks and a few not-so-expected tracks, plus a lot of vocals early in the list.

Top 10 from a game might be a little trickier to pull off, although I'm sure there are plenty of games that would support it, but ten from a composer is perhaps more interesting. And it lets us see that a particular composer isn't only known for one thing in particular, the way I think of, say, Jeremy Soule as doing almost exclusively background near-ambient music.

14. I love the idea of composer-focused top 10 lists. I'd like to see more of these too.

(Although I don't think anyone can top Jake Kaufman as my favorite composer, but ey who knows?)